To determine if you are running Windows 8 Pro on your keyboard press the “Windows Key” + the “Pause” Key a the same time. This will launch the system properties. (or search for “system”)
Under Windows edition you will either see Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro. If you see Windows 8 Pro proceed here: Bitlocker-Windows 8 Pro
Warning: UUHSC, University of Utah and the College of Nursing take no responsibility for damages, data loss or performance issues from enabling encryption. If you choose to enable encryption yourself, back up your laptop files before proceeding. If you do not feel comfortable following these steps consider taking your laptop to a third party Tech support for help.
If you see you only have Windows 8 you will need to upgrade for free to Windows 8 Pro through the University of Utah Software portal.
For information on the University of Utah Microsoft agreement: http://software.utah.edu/news/ms_/campus_agreement/_student_licenses.php
To purchase your free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro click here and follow the instructions below: http://utah.onthehub.com/WebStore/Welcome.aspx
- Click on Students
- Sign in with your Uid and Password
- Select Windows 8.1
- Choose language and add to cart
- Choose “Checkout”
- Review your order and sign with username and name as indicated at the bottom of the screen.
- Answer Survey questions.
- Review Order again. Click “Proceed with Order”
- On the Receipt page you will be provided with a Product Key. Copy and paste this product key in document and Save it for your records.
- You are also given the opportunity to download the Windows 8 files. This is not required to upgrade your windows 8 laptop but it is recommended you download the files as a back up.
- Find the product key you copied and saved for your records. Highlight and copy the key.
- On your keyboard press the “Windows Key” + the “Pause” Key a the same time. This will launch the system properties. (or search for “system”)
- Click “Get more features with a new edition of Windows” Click “yes” if you get a user account control popup
- Choose “I already have a product key”
- Paste the product key you received in your receipt from your free upgrade purchase and click “next”
- Windows will check to make sure it is a valid key and they begin to update your operating system. Your system may restart during this process.
- After the upgrade is complete check again that your operating system is now running Windows 8 Pro: On your keyboard press the “Windows Key” + the “Pause” Key a the same time. This will launch the system properties. (or search for “system”)
- Under Windows edition you should now see Windows 8 Pro. If that is correct click here to proceed to encrypting your laptop: Bitlocker-Windows 8 Pro
- If you don’t think your computer upgraded to Windows 8 pro please double check the steps above.